After a few busy weeks I finally got back into the kitchen on the weekend and made a gluten free version of Meyer lemon bars, or “slice” as we call it in Australia.
These bite size treats have been on my todo/bake list for a while now and they didn’t disappoint.
If you like the tangy sweetness of lemon curd you might also like the Lemon Curd Cheesecake I made for Jesse’s birthday last year or these Lime Lamingtons I made for Australia Day with a lime curd filling.
Hope you had a lovely weekend. Thanks for stopping by.
Lemon Curd Slice (Gluten Free)
– 170g salted butter, at room temperature
– ¼ cup light brown sugar
– 1 cup plain flour (gluten free)
– ½ cup cornflour (gluten free)
– 2 eggs
– 1½ cups sugar
– ¼ cup cornflour (gluten free)
– 8 large eggs, beaten
– zest of 2 lemons
– 1¼ cups fresh lemon juice
– 85g unsalted butter
– Icing sugar for dusting
1. Preheat the oven to 180°degrees and lightly butter a 9 x 9 inch baking pan.
2. In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add the dry ingredients and beat until the mixture resembles small peas.
4. Add the eggs and beat until the dough folds on itself.
5. Spray your hands with nonstick cooking spray and press the dough into the prepared pan until even.
6. Bake for 15 minutes, or until the edges of the crust are golden brown and the crust begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.
7. While the crust is baking make the lemon curd.
1. Combine the cornflour and sugar in a small saucepan stirring with a whisk to blend. Then whisk in the eggs and lemon juice until very smooth.
2. Add the lemon zest and butter then set the saucepan over medium heat. Stirring constantly, cook the curd just until it boils. Whisk vigorously and then remove from the heat.
1. Remove the crust from the oven and immediately pour the hot lemon curd onto the crust.
2. Smooth the top and return to the oven cooking for 15 minutes or until the edges of the lemon curd begin to pull away from the sides of the pan.
3. Remove from the oven and allow to completely cool in the pan on a wire rack.
4. Cut into small squares or as desired and dust with icing sugar before serving.
Tip: Store in an air tight container in a cool dry place for up to 3 days.